Friday, January 13, 2012

Christmas Prep

There's a lot to be done before Christmas...This year we had a great time with all the things leading up to the big day.

A few months ago Avery asked me for yet another baby, she had 4 or more at the time so I told her maybe not. Ethan quickly chimed in and told her to "ask Santa for one for Christmas." That's all that was said and from then on Avery would say, "Santa bring me baby for Christmas." In a very matter of fact sort of way...she was a born believer.

She of course had no idea who Santa was because the first 2 times we saw him she wanted nothing to do with him and especially didn't want to sit on his lap. Finally, at the ward party I placed her on his lap. She quietly asked for a baby, smiled for a picture and was off. The deed was done. He would now bring her a baby.

We love to go to temple square and walk around admiring the beautiful Christmas lights and different nativities. This year did not disappoint. It was cold and a little crowded, but the lights were amazing. It's a great family outing.



The kids and I baked, crafted and cooked up a storm for neighbor gifts, family parties, and fun. It helped pass the time as we counted down the days until Christmas.


Finally on Christmas Eve we joined Bob's family for a couple of family parties. The grandkids always act out the nativity. I think they look fabulous all dressed up. Avery was the wise man complete with a gift for the baby and Ethan got to play Joseph this year as the oldest boy. He was proud of himself, felt so grown up.

We opened PJ's with cousins as is tradition. Ethan was excited when I told him he'd get to finally open a gift, then a few minutes later he came back to me and said, "but if it's pajamas never mind." Sorry kiddo!

Once we got home Avery insisted we leave a snack for Santa. Ethan wanted to include the reindeer which I thought was cute. Avery on the other hand was a little hesitant to think of so many visitors coming in to our house while she slept. She was shaky on letting Santa in, but no way were reindeer to enter our house. I assured her Santa would feed the reindeer on the roof. She calmed a little, but kept asking me if Santa would take the food outside. Ethan wrote a sweet note to go with the treats, I'm glad Santa wrote a reply on the back and left it for us!

It took some doing, but we were ready for Christmas...stay tuned for the big day!

1 comment:

Douglas said...

I love Christmas for its surprises and wonder. Your family enjoyed it to the highest. I would have loved to visit Temple Square. You are so lucky.