Sunday, July 18, 2010

Jamberry

Ethan and I got a wild hair last Thursday and HE made fresh, homemade strawberry jam. We used the strawberries from our garden (both of them) and a few from the store. Ethan did most of the work himself. I helped boil the lids and pectin and helped clean and mash the strawberries. He said that part took too long! The rest he did. I was so proud of him. Here's the process he used.

Mash 2 cups of strawberries. A long process so enlist mom's help here.






Dump the mashed strawberries into an "old" bowl.




Mix the right amount of sugar with your mashy strawberries. Set your timer for 10 minutes, but sneak a stir and a taste a few times.





While you mix the sugar have mommy boil the pectin in water. Then mix the pectin in quick so it helps melt the sugar.




Pour your almost jam in to clean jars.






Carefully put a lid on your jar and twist the ring on tight!




And here it is! The final stuff...I think we'll have pancakes for dinner tomorrow-smothered in fresh berry jam!

3 comments:

Mary said...

Yum! And what an excellent helper. Does he hire out? Think the enthusiasm would last through tomatoes? :)

Jennifer Ames said...

Oh my goodness-he is getting SO big! By the way, how are you unceasingly so creative all the time?!

Douglas said...

I love Strawberry Jam and that is the best recipe. I'm so glad Ethan followed the directions so well. I loved the OLD bowl, what a treasure. Gram may have even made jam in that bowl. Save some jam for Gram and Papa.